Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Independence hall, liberty bells, and Rocky steps

So here I am in Philadelphia visiting Kate. 

She introduced me to her favorite watering holes in the city.  The first place we visited was a quaint and hideously decorated lesbian bar staffed by wry and surly lesbians.  The pink walls were lined by rails of pink neon lights the same way a drunken drag queen might line her stubbly lips the moment before her number in the local drag show.  The décor reminded me of a flowery-frilly dress on a large stubble-chinned, tight-muscled, butch lesbian. 
We ordered a drink, and Kate introduced me to “Her Bartender”, Natalie.  Natalie quickly pointed out that she pours drinks for other patrons, but that she actually belongs to Kate. 
We were at the girl bar for "one hot minute" (according to one witness) before we moved on to Woody's.

Woody’s is the same type of bar, but for boys.  Woody’s didn’t have even one strip of pink neon lighting.  There was a lot of… well, wood.  The booths near the bar were made of wood, the walls were paneled by wood, and all three bars were made of wood.  Hard wood.  Fags like hard wood.  It was dark enough on the inside to not really draw a whole lot of attention to the décor… or maybe I was just drunk by then.  
I was astounded to find out that Woody’s has two-step night.  I thought that I would never see another line dance after the day I turned my back on Texas.  I guess I was wrong.  Texas line dancing and two-step has tragically infected the East Coast.
We weren’t really at Woody’s for very long either… we had pressing business to attend to.

We did go back to Woody’s a few nights later, and I met two of the sweetest, handsomest and nicest gay boys that I think I have ever met… and Gary.  Gary was nice and handsome, but he was too butch to be sweet.  Gary kept telling me that I look like Kirsten Dunst.  (Maybe in the dark and after a few cocktails…)
Ryan and David were both gorgeous, with beautiful skin.  Ryan has gorgeous blue eyes and a manicure, David has big brown eyes and an earthy school-boy look about him.

Kate needed to do some things at her house, so I tagged along with her.  I had the pleasure of meeting her wonderful pup, Murphy (named for Murphy Brown).
Murphy is a nine year old golden retriever who loves belly rubs and her big flat basketball.  I think that Murphy is high in the running for best dog in the world.  I fell in love with her instantly. 

So far, I love Philadelphia.  Everything is old and beautiful here.  There are stout granite buildings dressed in ivy, old churches and cathedrals adorned with intricate stone carvings and stained glass, beautiful parks and winding tree lined streets.  I am in awe of the historical significance of this place.  Many of these buildings have been around since the late 1700’s.  The fact that they are still standing is just amazing to me.

More news at 11:00

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home