Friday, September 24, 2004

Why Orange County?

"Anonymous said... why'd you have to pick orange county? someone near there you'd like nuked??" Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone in the greater LA area I would like to have nuked. That doesn't mean that there isn't anyone there I would like to have nuked... but there is no sense in wiping out 8 million people just because some idiot down there ruined my day. That's not the point anyway. Let's think like an insane dictator for a moment. Let's say you have a Pinky-and-the-Brain-esque philosophy on politics and life in general. ("What'r we gonna do tonight Brain?" [Naarf!]... "The same thing we do every night, Pinky... Try and take over the world.") Your team of indentured scientists have recently nailed down all of the nuances of ballistics technology, and you are so close to getting your grubby insane mitts on weapons grade plutonium you can taste it. Your nemesis nation frowns upon your building nukes, even if you think it is "for your own protection". If your failing communist nation was stuck between two collapsed communist nations who are on fairly friendly terms with your nemesis... you blame the state of your economy and division of your country on the U.S. imperialist bastards... you would take back your nation and revive Godly communist order, if only they would remove their pig soldiers from the south... Oh, wait! What's this? War with Iraq? Quagmire? hm... does that mean that the imperialist bastards may be too busy to stop me when I roll on over the 38th parallel? Quick! Get Syria on the phone! I NEED PLUTONIUM! "Hello Syria? Are you still pissed at the US? Oh, good. Me too. Hey listen, does that offer for the weapons grade stuff still stand? Perfect. Can you ship me 200 kilos? Oh, you'll over-night it? Great. Syria, you're my best friend."

Okay, so now you have your nukes. But where to send them? You wish you could hit Washington, but that's too far away. Hawaii's close, but that was so December 7th 1941.
hm.. I wonder if we can hit California? San Diego is closer than LA, but LA has so many people! It would really piss them off if I wiped out Hollywood.

So anyway, if I were Kim Jong Il, I would aim for Orange county or LA. But I'm not. Maybe he's got something else up his sleeve. Maybe he's aiming for Colorado Springs?