Monday, September 20, 2004

Update:

For anyone who was wondering about the whole service pack 2 debacle, it has been resolved, no thanks to HP or Microsoft. (Bastards.)

Microsoft assumes that everyone who uses their software is completely retarded, and won't notice when they enable things like the stupid BITTS and automatic update services after you manually download and install one of their stupid "critical security updates" from their stupid website. ( This is extremely irritating when you have painstakingly sifted through and disabled each and every stupid other unnecessary lame service that doesn't serve any purpose other than to constantly use 75% of your system resources and make more money for Microsoft.)
So, anyway, some stupid update I downloaded (before the whole service pack 2 debacle) enabled the BITTS and auto update service again. (Without my permission.) So my computer was downloading and updating while I slept. I noticed that there was a new update, and didn't really think twice about installing it, until I realized that it was the infamous service pack 2. At that point it was too late, so I just held my fingers and crossed my breath... and hoped that it wouldn't make my computer explode.

...It didn't actually explode, but had there been any combustibles anywhere nearby, they might have. My stupid processor was running hotter than a programmer's coffee pot. Service pack 2 caused my processor to run at full capacity, constantly. The end result was burning plastic and the warping of the metal casing around my hard drive. Now, Apple is kind enough to spend an extra 25 cents on a little plastic sleeve which protects this fragile aluminum from warping when the system runs a little too hot-- Not HP. Your hard drive can warp and melt for all they care, oh, and if you try to call them about it, they want to charge you $40.00 (per incident). (Bastards.) If you already know that the issue is your hard drive, and you want to replace it, they will sell you one for a mere 700.00. (You can find the same one on Ebay for 99.00)

Oh, and, you can't just uninstall service pack 2 either. You can't get rid of it unless you low level format, because NTFS doesn't wipe the root files on a system recovery. Anyway, now I'm out 75 bucks, a few school assignments and 10 gigs of hard drive space. (I had to settle for a smaller and cheaper hard drive.) (Bastards.)

NTFS sucks by the way... if you ask me, I'll tell you why. So I've installed XP pro, on the good ole reliable FAT32, and I'm back in business.

If I were nerd chic enough, I’d wipe Windows all together, run Linux and flip Bill the bird… no point in making empty threats though. I don’t have the spare time, or the balls to give up my familiar environment.

Anyway… hopefully I won’t have to bitch about this ever again.
Have a nice day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home